Head and Neck Cancer
Specialized, Multidisciplinary Approach to Head and Neck Cancer
Head and neck cancers include cancer of the mouth, tongue, throat, larynx, nose, and nasal cavity. Most are squamous cell carcinomas, which means they begin in the flat cells that make up the outer surface of the skin or tissues of the head and neck region. Tobacco use, heavy alcohol use, and human papillomavirus are the main causes of head and neck cancer.
Head and neck cancers can also include salivary gland cancer, thyroid cancer, and other cancers involving the head and neck such as melanoma, non-melanoma skin cancer, and sarcoma.
UT Southwestern Medical Center’s integrated team of head and neck cancer specialists treats only head and neck cancer, giving us a level of expertise that is on par with top U.S. cancer programs. Our radiation and medical oncologists, oral and reconstructive surgeons, physical and occupational therapists, and speech pathologists collaborate closely on each case, ensuring that every patient benefits from the combined knowledge of all specialties.
Cancer Care at the Highest Level. Anywhere.
Our team of hundreds of leading cancer physicians and oncology-trained support staff is a trusted partner in returning patients with cancer to good health.
Head and Neck Cancer Care with a Singular Focus
Using a holistic approach, we work to optimize all steps of the patient’s journey.
During treatment, we focus on localized therapies to help reduce side effects, rather than systemic drugs that pass through the entire body. After treatment, we use advanced imaging scans to closely monitor each patient, with the goal of acting quickly should the cancer return.
As the only National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center in North Texas, we deliver the best cancer care available today and push to discover new treatments. NCI designation means we offer patients the ability to participate in the broadest possible range of clinical trials, with access to potential therapies not available at other facilities.
Head and Neck Cancer Program
The Head and Neck Cancer Program at UT Southwestern provides excellent, compassionate care for patients with all stages of head and neck cancer. From a personalized patient experience to cutting-edge treatments, discover what sets us apart.
Services We Provide for Head and Neck Cancer Patients
Our team of head and neck cancer specialists offers individualized care tailored to each patient’s unique situation. Highlights of our program include:
- Six fellowship-trained head and neck oncologic and reconstructive surgeons – one of the largest head and neck surgical oncology groups in the country
- Advanced imaging tests that are reviewed by radiologists who have special expertise in head and neck cancer
- The ability to perform reconstructive surgery at the same time we perform surgery to remove the cancer
- Experience with transoral robotic surgery (TORS) and transoral laser microsurgery (TLM), two state-of-the-art minimally invasive surgical techniques for head and neck cancer
- Medical oncologists and radiation oncologists who provide customized cancer care, from immunotherapy to leading-edge radiation therapy
- Robust support services that include dentistry support, oncology nutrition, and support groups
- Partnership with the UT Southwestern facial reanimation team, a world-class program that treats facial paralysis
- Clinical trials that often give head and neck cancer patients access to leading-edge treatments that are not yet widely available
Related Conditions and Treatments
- Airway Conditions
- Base of Tongue Cancer
- Cancer and Transplant Dental Care
- Ear Surgery
- HPV Cancer
- Head and Neck Reconstructive Surgery
- Human Papillomavirus
- Nasopharyngeal Cancer
- Oropharyngeal Cancer
- Radiation Oncology
- Salivary Gland Cancer
- Sinus and Nasal Cavity Cancer
- Skull Base Tumors and Disorders
- Transoral Robotic Surgery
- Vocal Cord Cancer
September 19, 2019
July 29, 2015
Results: 9 Locations
Fort Worth, Texas 76104 817-882-2400
Dallas, Texas 75243 214-645-0950